You can never have too many unicorns, and if you or your child would like to temporarily transform some of your carpet herd into fantasy animals, here is a simple, fun way to create a new identity for any Breyer!
Please note: this activity (and final product) is not suggested for very young children, as small parts may pose a choking hazard. Adults should help with oven-related steps.
All you'll need to create your own removable unicorn horn is:
Now let’s get started on making that horn!
1) First, pre-heat your oven to temperature listed on your oven-bake clay package.
2) While your oven is warming, take two small, even pieces of your clay colors, and roll them out into thin lines.
3) Take these two lines and twist them around each other.
5) Cut rolled clay down to size. You'll have a lot left over, so you can make more horns or other projects, or pack it away for later use.
6) Form rolled piece into a horn. You want the end that will sit on the horse's head to be flat. I've kept this horn fairly thick so it will be less breakable.
7) Bake! Bake for the length suggested on your oven-bake clay package. Keep an eye on it while it’s in the oven to make sure it does not burn or bubble.
8) When finished, take the horn out of the oven and allow it to cool down before touching it!
9) Take a small amount of your removable putty, and stick it onto the horse where you’d like the horn to be. Take the horn and FIRMLY press it into the putty, and hold it there with pressure for about 30 seconds. If the horn falls off, you should apply more pressure.
10) Play! The horn will probably come off with rough play such as dropping, but the advantage is that when you don't want the horse to be a unicorn anymore, it is easily removable and your adhesive will not leave residue.